View Single Post
Old 08-07-07, 10:50 AM
TurdFerguson2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by feethanddooth
know you are asking if its a good idea or not i would say it isnt tragic but not something you wanna make into a habit.
I disagree. I'd say that if you did make a habit of it, it would be better. The problems with what you did are: not completely cleaning the chain (some grit might still be in there) and have the degreaser breakdown the lube (therefore it not lasting as long). If you did what you did on a regular basis, you'd solve the second problem and if you do clean your chain on occasion, you are solving the first problem.

In a perfect world, you would completely clean the chain every time, but I'm not sure it is completely necessary, as long as it does get cleaned on occasion. That of course depends on the nature of the environment you ride in (sandy or gritty conditions will increase how often it should be done.

Originally Posted by feethanddooth
if you like the quick easy chain lubing try pedros ice wax. no degreasing needed. just throw it on after every ride and it takes care of it all. once a month really clean the chain. thats what i do and its smooth and no squeeks.
Again, I disagree. As does Jobst Brandt. Read this definitive (IMHO) article on how to properly lube your chain. It explains why wax based lubes are NOT the answer.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html