View Single Post
Old 08-07-07, 08:39 PM
jim p

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips. From the fit calculators, I thought that I fell in the normal/typical range. This is why I was wondering what was going on. The 63 cm bike with me standing over it has my pelvic bone resting solidly on the top bar. With this bike I think that I have the quil at the top of its limit just to get the bars level with the seat. This is why I was thinking that someone had decided to design road bikes with the bars low for more speed and maybe more comfort for younger riders. I am fairly flexible but with all the weight on my hands and the arthritis and other problems I am more comfortable with higher bars. For a temporary fix I have rotated my handle bars so that the hoods are about 3" higher than the middle of the bar. This looks crazy and only give me a couple of hand positions but it takes the weight off my hands and it is helping me decide how high I really need the bars to be for over all comfort and function.

I have a threaded headset with the quil stem in my 58 cm bike which seems to fit except for maybe needing the seat setback seat post and a taller quil. I am going to take a look at some of the sites you have suggested and see what I can find.