VT Biker

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
From Velonews [bold mine]:

"This was a difficult decision, not made any easier by our recent Tour de France success," Stapleton added. "We were in talks with a number of companies about the opportunity and were confident a new sponsor was imminent. We have chosen, however, to end those discussions."

Tailwind spokesman PJ Rabice told VeloNews Friday morning that the decision was not based on "a failure to find a new sponsor."

Sounds like there may be other factors at play rather than not being able to find a sponsor.
My initial speculation is that Armstrong and Bruyneel realize that if they stay in cycling:

(a) They risk continued allegations and potentially being outed for having been knee-deep in the PED's during Lance's career. They saw what happened with the T-Mobile affair and Bjarne Riis. Why stay in the sport where the spotlight and inquiries into the 99 - 2007 run will always be a constant. Lance I think realizes it is time to get out before he gets outed.

(b) The increased testing that is coming to the Pro Tour is not going to favor this team. This team has built up its success by being the best chemically enhanced team on the planet. The increased scrutiny and testing were going to take away their advantage over the Peleton.

(c) Contador: I have a feeling they see the heat coming down on Contador, and that in itself was a hinderence in getting a new sponsor. The last thing they want to do is to be an active team and have to deal with one of its riders being stripped of the Yellow. This would also add more heat and inquiries into Lance.