View Single Post
Old 08-11-07, 05:10 AM
dannyg1 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Shoot me now, if that's what it takes but as far as I've ever known, and as far as I'll ever believe, Sach's/Huret is as French as Mavic ever was and tough they've been 'absorbed' by SRAM, their history is as important as Campagnolo is to the Italians, or Zeus is to the Spanaird's.

The 'New Success' group was one of Sach's last offerings as an independent company and was made mostly by Campagnolo (at least towards the end, there were a few variations along the way). Campagnolo justified the whole thing by making the Ergo levers Shimano Compatible and letting the finish of the components slide a bit. The comparitive group was Athena, by the looks of things and it was good.

Sach's had a concurrent MTB group out at the same time that was quite a bit more successful (and caught the eye of Sram) called 'Plasma' (they had a plethora of variations of the carbon/plastic concept of this, their ultimate group, as well, Quarz and Centera among them). The hubs from the Plasma group, later sold as SRAM Plasma and then 9.0, are excellent and some of the finest rolling hubs money can buy. I know because I've got a set right here, beside some 2006 XTR and some Machine Tech, some White Industries, and some Ringle and some, well you get the idea....

In any event, these were very high quality components that were made to last a good long time and are very proudly French, though somewhat farmed out to the Italian manufacturers for their expertise.

DG1