mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMacG
I also ride about 100 miles per week. Other than adding air, lubricating the chain and other areas, and adjusting the brakes and shifters, I have not done any maintenance in 2000 miles. There is very little if any chain stretch, the breaks pads and tires are good. What exactly are you all maintaining? Am I missing the boat?
Brake adjustment & pad dressing, wheel true, chain, general cleaning, derailleur tweeking (rare to require), pulley lube, check fasteners. Longer intervals (very long now) - bearings.

Example from brakes: The DA brakes I'm using have a nice fine adjuster. I end up hitting these a couple of times a week. No idea why they end up just slightly out of adjustment, but they do.

I suspect two influences on the apparent level of effort required. First, some people like things tuned in very nicely. I'm one of them. I want both the pads to hit at the same time. The chain to feel silky if I move it by hand. Wheels to be absolutely true. No creaks, squeeks, or anything at all out of whack. Second, some people are more busy than others. I run a business and have a house with associated property to tend to. Anything that adds to that load looms fairly large. Not much time, but it is still time. I can build up a bike from a frame quickly, but it is still time away from my family.

Certainly having tools helps. I've got a full Campy tool kit, adjustable reamers, bank of solvents and lubricants, etc. The right tools really help. I only rarely use some of them, but they're available when I need them. Unfortunately some are quite obsolete. I couldn't begin to count how many bikes I've built up.