Old 08-12-07, 12:26 AM
M_S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
REI's used/returned/damaged gear sale is awesome!

And I totally just stumbled onto it! I guess because of their generous return policy REI ends up with a ton of stuff that they can't put back on the shelves.

Rummaging through the bins, I came out with two Cateye blinkers (front and rear) worth about 10 bucks a piece for a grand total of 2.83 for the both of 'em. Nothing wrong whatsoever except that they were missing the mounts. I have extra hardware at home, so no problem. I may give them to a friend who doesn't have lights for her bike.

Next I pull up a 30 dollar pair of sunglasses, which were amazingly unscratched amidst the other items. They were just over 5 bucks. Sweet, I lost my sunglasses, so these go in the bag.

My next find could have made it a very expensive day, had I kept it. There was a Deore LX crankset/bottom bracket in perfect condition marked down 70%. Holy mother of... I had to pinch myself. It was still a lot of money for me and I had absolutely zero use for the thing. I put it back.

The last thing I took home was a pair of SKS mountain bike/clip on plastic fenders. The kind commuters here love to hate on but they were 4 bucks. I'm moving to Missoula this fall for school and while it's not very rainy, it does snow. I'd been wanting fenders that I could fit 35 knobbies under and still have plenty of clearance so the snow doesn't build up. I have zero experience riding in snow, but we'll see how it goes.

All in all I had a very productive day as a consumer.