View Single Post
Old 08-12-07, 02:32 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Yup, sames as Blues Dawg I started with a few tools, made a few adjustments then a few more, then regreased a few hubs followed by a bottom bracket and so on. Now I've flipped a bunch of bikes to pay for the tools and bike stand. I've just about completed my first frame up build. I have a truing stand and I'll true wheels, but after building one wheel I've decided it's less of a hassle to buy off ebay or new.

Recommendation: When I initially decided to work on my own bikes, someone on bike forums, I can't rememeber who, recommended buying a beater at a garage sale stripping it and putting it back together. So I picked up a $5 Magna, stripped it to learn what the parts looked like, then discarded it. I followed that exercise with a yard sale Trek 800 MTB for $25, stripped it down, lubed what needed to be lubed, replaced the chain and cassette and gave it to my son for college. Along the way I've replaced cables bottom brackets (cartridge and non-cartridge), shifters etc. on numerous bikes I've flipped. It's been a blast. Where I used to be afraid to touch a rear derailer, now I'll change one out just to see if another provides better shifting.