View Single Post
Old 08-13-07, 11:39 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziemas
I can honestly say I've never had a problem being noticed with my Cateye Double Shot, or even a 10w halogen for that matter. The idea that you need over 300 lumens to be noticed by cars is a bit far fetched.
Sure you can get noticed with a pen light. But why get by with just the minimum? You said that putting out 1200 lumens is dangerous. A 100 W incandescent light bulp puts out 1700 lumens...that's hardly dangerous. A 20W, 12V bare halogen bulb puts out around 300 lumen without a reflector. I have 3 and a 12 W (another 200 lumen). That puts my light output at around 1200 lumen which is less tha a 100 W incandesent bulb. Hardly 'dangerous'.

I'll admit that mine is overkill but where's the harm? I've tried lights with less output and never found them to be an advantage. I've noticed cyclists with very weak lights out riding at night and, if I weren't a cyclist looking for other night riders, I would have missed them in all the background light. Getting lost in the night time urban environment of street light, stoplights, cross signals, car lights, etc. could cause real harm. My 1200 lumens gets noticed, so again, where's the harm?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!