View Single Post
Old 06-16-04, 05:40 PM
Vcubed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboTurtle
I am leading a century training program this summer that started in March where beginning riders (and those that just lack the confidence) will train all summer and then do a Century in September.

I now have a guy on a ‘bent that is joining. Problem is, I don’t know how to train on a non-diamond frame. I normally work on getting the cadence up to 90+, working in a pack, bike set-up, position, etc. We do three rides a week with one being progressively longer, one a training ride (hill and speed intervals) and the other the normal club group ride. What do I need to do different for the guy on the ‘bent? Any good, condensed resources?

Thanks for your help,
TF
There are two areas that differ. The first difference is in hill climbing. You will need to work on this rider's spinning, as he will not be able to stand on the pedals and bull up the steep parts. Rather, he will have to gear down and keep the cadence high. He may need to work on stable tracking at slow speeds uphill, and he will have to be more fit than the other riders if he wants to keep up on hills.

The second area is in pack riding. If his bike puts him well below the others they won't be able to draft off him and there would be no reason to have him in a paceline, except for the sake of being together with the other folks.