Old 08-13-07, 09:41 PM
Blue Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sianelle
Um......$30,000? That's not a cheap car
It's not out of line with what people pay for gasoline-powered vehicles.

The problem still remains that the electricity has to come from somewhere and if that somewhere is a coal, oil, or gas fired power station I don't see how we're going to be any further ahead.
I'm no expert, but supposedly electrics pollute less overall even when you factor coal-fired electricity generation into the equation.

My other objection is that it's going to be made in China where wages are low and the air quality in the industrial cities is just plain dreadful. Not a solution, - still a part of the problem I'm afraid.
Unless that air pollution is generated by the production of this vehicle, it's irrelevant. Wages are low compared to U.S. wages, perhaps, but I doubt they're low compared to Chinese wages. You'd have to measure wages against the Chinese cost of living, not against the cost of living where you live. Still, I agree that China is able to produce at a lower cost because Chinese companies don't have to comply with environmental and labor regulations that western companies are subject to.