Old 08-14-07, 10:10 AM
goodall
draw line at carbon forks

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD6 w/ 105, Fuji Track Pro, Windsor Cliff 4900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a transportation engineer, and my wife is a graphic designer/painter. We both went to school and worked in VA, so I've got some insights here. A few options:

1) Graphic design school: do community college and then transfer to JMU. 65% women there, all hot, they will be hitting on you not the other way around. Graphic design degree, then work in the DC region. Plenty of work up there.

2) Engineering school: Study civil engineering at ODU, then do the VDOT Scholar Intern Program as soon as you can apply. You get $7000/year scholarship and a guaranteed job with VDOT when you graduate. Starting salary will be around $50,000. If you don't like VDOT, there are plenty of other jobs, both private sector and public sector. Work in and around DC, make good money. Plus it's kind of like paving, which you already know.

3) Business school. I only suggest this because you may be able to convince your family to finance this option, if they assume you'll come back to work for them.

4) Sales. Sales is like the one industry where you can make ridiculous money and education doesn't mean crap. I used to work with time share sales guys at Massanutten ski resort. They'll take anyone to start out on a trial basis. If you can sell, you start making big bucks quick, like six-figures. High stress though, you're paid totally on commission. Real estate could be an option too, they don't care if you've been to college.