View Single Post
Old 08-16-07, 11:11 AM
ThrottleJock
Carnivore

Bikes: DaBomb Single (urban), Cannondale fixed (road), Electra Straight 8 (beach)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
calories per hour - seems high

So I just got this new HRM that estimates calories burned, my rickety ass old one didn't do that. It seems like the numbers are high.

I'm 31, 192lbs, mostly muscle (ex-dual-slalom sprint junkie who's spent some time in the gym) on a fixed gear on dead flat South Florida terrain. I did a ride the other day, 2:06 on the bike and I burned 2918 calories. That was probably a 45mile ride, nice and easy with only one hard pull to see if I could peg my max HR (not quite, got to 198) but I was extremely hungover and dragging ass so that must count for something. Maybe the monitor can sense that.

Rode again yesterday, 52min on the bike doing intervals in the pouring rain and 15mph headwind in one direction around a 1 mile loop, 175rpm sprint for about 15 seconds at 192bpm, then the rest of the loop (probably 2-3 min) against the wind, sitting up and cruising to recover and I STILL burned 1106 calories. In 52 minutes! Is that even possible? My average heart rate on both of those rides was 161bpm, I guess that's my comfort zone.

The thing is, I'm not even riding hard. I'd rate the effort at a 6 for the first ride and a 7 for yesterday's ride on a scale of 10, 10 being hardest. Definitely not race pace, barely entering a pain or real lactic threshold for more than a few seconds, I was even half-assing the intervals. I think it's great and I'm guessing that because of my size I burn the calories as fast as I honk them down. Or something. The 40 calories/hr thing is way low for me on average. I don't know, maybe I'll just be happy about it.

Are any of you guys burning 1000+ calories/hr at training pace or is this thing broken?