View Single Post
Old 06-20-04, 05:42 AM
TrekRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greywolf
A simular rant as the SUV one , week-end boaties & wanabe sailors towing their boats behind (usualy an SUV) the trailer is wider than the towing vech.the driver will pass you giving you plenty of space & without a backward glance ,will nearly rip your calf muscle off with the rusty mudguard (fender) of his boat-trailer!!

I don't think you can blame a certain type of vehicle. Bad drivers also tow boats behind Volvos, Chevy's, and Toyotas. The problem as you state it, and as it is in my experience, is that most driver's don't know how a trailer acts in all situations. It can move around, sway from side to side, making their vehicle twice the width they think it is.

The ones I hate are the construction vehicles, large trucks towing empty trailers. The drivers generally know how a full load reacts, but an empty trailer tends to bounce all over the place.

The only soultion - and, I guess, the solution to my problem in the thred I just started about being more noticeable - is to keep your head on a swivel, checking your mirror very often so, if need be, you can get out of the way.