Old 08-17-07, 06:39 PM
Fishy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by happyshay
I am planning a trip from Yonkers, NY to my relatives in Canton, CT. There are bike paths I can take from Yonkers to Carmel, NY in Putnam County. From Carmel to Wassiac in Dutchess County (where the start of the next bike path is) I will need to take Route 22. Does anyone know if that is safe for cyclists? Also, does anyone know the safest way to get from Amenia, NY to Canton, CT.? On a map, it looks like all county roads that I am not familiar with. Thank you.

Rt. 22 is not terrible for cyclists - obviously, off-peak hours will be easier than doing it during the evening commute. It can be busy, but I am not sure you have a better route to get to where you're going.

The Wassaic to Amenia portion of the rail trail is only two miles or so, so you will be on county roads most of the way. Once you are in Amenia, make a left off of the rail trail and then look for 343 - it is right there.

Take 343 into Connecticut where it will become CT-4, I think. CT-4 will basically take you to where you're going - the parts of it that I know of are basically smooth road with a decent shoulder. Even if it weren't, you don't really have a better way of getting where you're going.

The Amenia to Canton leg has to be at least 40 miles and I think you're gonna do some climbing - it's hilly. Might be worth your time to do a run-through via car to get a better sense of the trip - it is an ambitious day trip to be sure!