Old 08-17-07, 07:02 PM
Superweirdash
<=3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain noise and brake power

Hi, I'm having two small problems with my recently finished fixie. It's a Raleigh Record with IRO cranks, and when I apply alot of pressure to the pedals (e.g. going up a steep hill), I hear a clicking in the (I think) chain, near/at the chainring. Of course, it's hard to pinpoint the source while riding, and I can't replicate it without riding, so the chainring is my best guess. Is this a common problem, or even something to worry about?

Also, I can't get my front brake to really stop the wheel. It's a center pull cantillever, the Raleigh original, with new brake pads. The brake lever is an inline brake lever of unknown brand (without a drop handlebar brake before it, its got bullhorns). I've got the brake cable extremely tight, and I can apply plenty of pressure, but no matter how hard I pull, the wheel simply will not stop moving. It slows it down considerably, but I'd feel alot more confident riding if it would stop completely. I've read about mechanical advantage, but I can't see how I'd adjust it on these brakes. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ash