View Single Post
Old 08-18-07, 07:44 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
While I don't currently ride a Ti bike, I have owned them in the past. While it is expensive, if properly done, a good Ti bike will ride as well as the finest steel bikes, maybe (get ready for the blasphemy....) even a bit better. One thing to consider when pricing is that a very well made carbon bike will be just as expensive, or more than a Ti bike, but the Ti bike will most likely out ride the carbon in it's stress cycle life. In my completely "unscientifically" based opinion, Ti owners tend to keep their bikes for a good long time. Other positives are the fact that they are very easy to take care of (no paint chips, rust, etc...), you don't need to worry (as much) about stripping out threads, and they seemingly never go out of style. As a former frame builder myself, I really do think that Ti is one of the better materials to build with for all the above reasons and more. But do please read that they have to well made, from a reputable builder and preferably with a warranty, just in case. A poorly manufactured Ti bike will fail just as readily as any other poorly made bike.