Old 08-19-07, 11:27 AM
mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JeanCoutu
Is the bike well fitted to the guy?

Having helped a few dudes like this, doing work on their bikes to make them rideable and useful, and getting them a lock only for them to not even bother to use it, then complain that it takes over an hour to go to work because they're back on foot...

It's as if you pick them up and dangle their feet in the air, but they don't bother to grab on to anything and then ***** at you for having let them go. Some people just don't want to help themselves.

It's also why I haven't done this in a while, but I find this thread refreshing to see this guy dosen't sound like that kind of person.
In this case, the fellow was already riding his bicycle every day, so YES, he is riding. I was first contacted by the church lady because during a conversation with him, he told her how concerned he was that someone would steal his bike and he would not have transportation to/from work.

My first contact was to just give the church lady a cable lock for him. My second contact was when he taco-ed his wheel and needed repairs. That is when I really understood his situation and how important the bike is to him for nearly all of his transportation needs.

The bike seemed small to me, but when I delivered it to him with the upgrades and repairs, I only had to adjust the saddle and the stem about an inch up and it fit pretty well. Boy, was he happy when I made that simple adjustment and he could get the full stroke of the pedal with is leg nearly extended! Imagine the joy.