LostBoizdown
The Traveller

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dadogg
Take a car, and measure average speed, it's hardly ever more than 7 mph in city. Cars are only faster when going on highways during times other than bumper to bumper rush hour.
True story. I can drive to work in about five minutes; if I ride fast I can be there in less than 15, close to 10 if I hit the right intersections at the right time (left turn onto a busy 4-lane street - not gonna risk getting t-boned when the car's going 35+). Only (small) problem is that now that it's later in the summer it's DARK when I ride home, which is only a problem on a few stretches.

Now...I'm a bit confused here. I've been told that a bicycle is considered like any other form of transportation (must obey traffic laws etc. etc.) and I've only seen signs prohibiting bicycles on some freeways, along with other slower-moving vehicles. I HAVE seen signs outlawing riding a bicycle on the sidewalk. So they can tell us what to do...but there's no upside for us?

I understand "bike lane" to be physically connected to the street, what one might normally consider a "shoulder" but wide enough for a bike; and "bike path" to be that which does not connect to the road, goes through the woods, around your rec center, etc. Like the emerald necklace in the Cleveland Metroparks.