Old 08-20-07, 04:45 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bfromcolo
You might consider replacing the seat post clamp also. On my commuter I put a non quick release clamp on it when I got my Brooks. [...] it will take 10 seconds now, but at least the thief would need the right tool. I also see bikes that have bike chains threaded through the seat rails and around the top tube to keep the seat attached, run that through a little heat shrink tubing and it wouldn't scratch your bike.
I just had my seat post and Brooks stolen by someone with a multitool. These tools are so common nowadays and easy to carry, allen bolts are not much of a deterrent any more. Following advice from here and local Forums I now have a piece of metal superglued in the seat post clamp bolt head (and in the saddle clamp bolt as well). It's not like I'm adjusting the seat daily in any case, having spent some time to get it just right. A would-be thief now needs acetone, time and the multitool.

I also thought about running a cable or chain through the seat rails as an alternative to the glue method. Chain is too bulky and heavy IMO, and cable can be cut easily. I seem to remember seeing some kind of locking device, installed inside the frame, running cables to saddle rails inside the seat tube. I think such hidden cables might be better than visible ones. Maybe even attach a laminated note to cable in seat tube, saying "Smile... you're on Candid Camera" or something to that effect.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines