SanSarf

Bikes: City and Race bike (Moser)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
SansSarf,
From what I gather bike theft can be a bit of problem in the bigger cities. And the Dutch love their bikes. It is kind of strange to see an old spray painted bike with a $100 chain lock on it, but it makes sense too when you consider that is the main way that person has to get home from where the bike is locked up.
Theft is a problem indeed and i do own a rusty old bike for commuting together with shiny new lock. Estimates are that every bike is stolen on average twice a year. Ever since police declared stolen bicycles had no priority it went rampage and loads of people don't report it stolen anymore.

Originally Posted by cerewa
I wouldn't be too surprised if a copycat of that dutch system shows up soon at a very high-density place in the USA where bicycling is popular. I was thinking New York City would be a good candidate, except that NYC traffic is scary to lots of people. I guess theft would also be a problem, even if the rented bikes came with good locks.
Well might be a solution to clogged up city centres. They've already something similar in Lyon (france) and in London they are looking for alternatives to cars.

Theft is a problem but if you have a chain lock and you can secure it to something unmovable, it should work.