Old 08-20-07, 04:41 PM
i_r_beej
Portland, OR

Bikes: Cannondale: '94 R400; Lemond Poprad '06; Specialized Epic Marathon '06; Specialized Stumpjumper '89; Redline Proline Pro Cruiser '10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adamcsmith
The LBS had not heard of this issue at all. If it was common to adjust brakes for new cross bikes it seems like they would point this out...is that a bad sign?

Thanks again.
Yeah-- the shop doesn't want to giv you the money back. They want to keep the sale!

Seriously-- they might suck. They might not-- they might not ride 'cross bikes. They might not know. They might not care. There are too many variables. That's why finding a good shop and mechanic are like finding a good auto mechanic or doctor-- once you make that important and crucial personal relationship you protect it and value it.

Anyway-- I stray from the point.

If they offer a money back guarantee-- take it. Go get a Cross-Check. I almost bought one and corresponded with a fellow at Surly several times during my research-- they're quite up-front and very friendly and helpful. (Buying a Cross-Check Complete locally was a bit of a PITA...)

Anyway-- the Cross-Check is a fabulous bike. Specialized sucks because they sued a local bike company for producing a 'cross bike named "Stumptown". Never mind that 'Stumptown" is a nickname of PDX. Someone might mistake "Stumptown" for "Stumpjumper" and wind up buying a better bike.

Get the Cross-Check. Then buy some V-brakes (mini-V's would be good) and you'll not have any chatter. Just don't endo. If you stick with cantilevers-- you may or may not experience chatter. Rain and/or cold weather increases the liklihood of chatter, as do improper brake set-up and crappy stock brake pads (remember-- nothing beats Kool-Stop! Another local company!! yay.)

One last thing? Front end chatter and squeal was common way back when. Cantilever set-up was an arcane art and one practiced endlessly. Then V-brakes and disc brakes made the cantilever all but obsolete. V-brakes, however, aren't the panacea they might seem. They have poor tire clearance compared to cantilevers and are not terribly suited to muddy, goopy cyclocross.

I'm sorry if all this just seems to make the issue "clear as mud".

good luck and enjoy the ride.