View Single Post
Old 08-20-07, 06:32 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Enough to yell "get on the sidewalk" or "get off the road" when BL do not exist on similar roads.
When riding in a shoulder? I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised.

True, as I said, they are not perfect... and an unstriped WOL doesn't add anything in this regard either.
True, but a WOL doesn't make the claim to keep novice cyclists safe or to provide dedicated space for on-road cycling. Neither does a shoulder. Bike lanes on the other hand...

Except on roads with curbs, there are no shoulder stripes. A striped BL puts the cyclist on the "traveled way" and removes the ambiguity of whether a cyclist is on the road or not.
I'm just as confused as Steve is with the point you are trying to make. An unstriped WOL is about the only way to truly convey to motorists that the cyclist is using part of the "traveled way." A bike lane looks a lot like a shoulder stripe, and vice versa, as my daily riding on roads with unuseable shoulders has shown.