Old 08-21-07, 11:11 AM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by clepothole
I have always been a mountain bike rider, and recently bought a hybrid bike to tackle the mean streets of Cleveland. Cycling has come back into my life as a fitness mechanism, sustainable option and most important, a mood stabilizer and I want to go faster and farther. I ride to work twice a week, and do 20 miles either in the morning or at night when I don't ride in, and I need more speed. I am interested in purchasing a road bike because I am ready to take my enthusiasm to another level. I have been on ebay, and have three local bike shops around me, and I am wondering...in my price range, what is the best value?

1. Someone please tell me outside of ebay about the value of the windsor/dawes/kinnebac bikes that are listed at half price and seem to have a good look and good components.

2. I would like to buy an American made frame.

3. My price range is $800 tops. Is there a bike out there that won't have me clamoring for another upgrade, road bike? Aluminum frame is fine for the price. I ride six days a week, normally by myself, but sometimes with another. I have good endurance, and have been stuck on the Fisher Cronus that is really made for a college kid. I like the frame, and the bike, but I don't need disc brakes and I only have nine speeds, which I didn't think would be a problem in flat Cleveland, but it is. My mistake.

I don't know much about road bikes and would be interested in knowing from someone like me, 6' foot, 240 lbs, what works best for the money.
well, I can heartily recommend the Dawes as a good starter, lower end road bike... but will it stop any upgrade fever? I have one and use it regularly but I also was looking at the trek 1000 for more than double the price... I just haven't pulled the trigger on it.