View Single Post
Old 08-23-07, 09:25 PM
Tat2Art

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Sierra 10 speed, 1997 Diamondback Lakeside Hybrid & 19?? Nishiki Custom Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm a lot like everyone else in this thread. I'd rather learn to do it myself and feel confident it's done right then spend money in a LBS. That money is better spent on good tools. I’ve read a lot then dove in. Don't let truing wheels scare you I purchased a truing stand and it's not that hard after giving it a shot as long as you've got patience and you're not truing wheels for Lance. Lateral truing isn't hard at all and it's the rounding that is getting me but I'm not giving up. I ride daily on my wheels and have no complaints. BTW I've never worked on a front wheel. I start with the hard parts first. Do yourself a real big favor; get a good bicycle repair stand. I started by the old rope hanging from the rafters routine. You need some real stability to get those nuts and bolts nice and tight. Also don't over tighten; I think out of all the hurdles I've had to overcome was stripping bolts. Over tightening is not always the best way to go. Good luck and have fun.