View Single Post
Old 08-24-07, 02:13 AM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by awiner
Recently I have seen some companies starting to place a warning on quick release skewer instructions that these particular skewers are not to be used with carbon forks that have exposed carbon drop outs.

I assume this means carbon forks that have no sort of metal protection on their carbon drop outs to protect the carbon from the clamping nut/skewer.

Has anyone experience any problems with exposed carbon forks and skewers ? I have never seen a skewer specifically manufactured to 'remedy' this issue, if it is an issue at all and not companies covering their butts.
Here is a wonderful case of safety being compromised for ease of manufacturing (lower cost) and in the name of the false god of lower weight. Carbon dropouts are not only a safety hazzard but they have NO Durability for the daily average rider and the amature racer. Plan on frequent purchases of forks and have enough love of fellow man to never sell one on eBay. I think that this is truly a mistake the bike industry is making that will end up hurting people.