View Single Post
Old 08-24-07, 06:39 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Deanster04
Here is a wonderful case of safety being compromised for ease of manufacturing (lower cost) and in the name of the false god of lower weight. Carbon dropouts are not only a safety hazzard but they have NO Durability for the daily average rider and the amature racer. Plan on frequent purchases of forks and have enough love of fellow man to never sell one on eBay. I think that this is truly a mistake the bike industry is making that will end up hurting people.
Well, Easton and Reynolds sell a lot of forks with carbon dropouts and I haven't heard of any systematic problems, breakages or recalls. They have been on the market for several years and if there were inherent problems we certainly would have heard of it by now.

I have two Easton EC90SLX forks, one with about 5000 miles the other with 3000, and they have been flawless. Granted that's not a lot of miles but it does show that early failure isn't a problem.