Old 08-24-07, 08:18 AM
Proximo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Interesting approach. I don't have Schraner's book so I'm not quite sure what the technique is. Do you initially adust the drive-side spokes so they are "vertical", i.e. in the same plane as the drive side hub flange?
Pretty much. His actual truing procedure is 19 steps (pg 86) with the 2nd step aligning the rim as far to the right (viewed from the rear) as possible.

On page 83 he makes this comment:

"During the truing stage of the rear wheel, one should try to position the rim as far to the right and as far beyond its actual central position as possible. Finish truing the wheel, install the right hand side spokes with their optimum tension and never mind about tensioning the left-hand for the time being. The wheel is dished towards the left definitive at the end of the truing stage.

This is practically the only way to achieve the highest possible spoke tension on the left-hand side. If this is not done, then it will be very difficult to get enough tension into the left-hand spokes."

His definition of "optimum tension" for the drive side spokes is as high as the rim will allow and still react properly to tension tweaks.

Last edited by Proximo; 08-24-07 at 08:28 AM.