View Single Post
Old 08-25-07, 02:57 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by ai123
hi, school just started here and I've decided to get a bike for commuting around campus and around town and maybe even occasionally some longish rides (15 miles or so). I need a bike pretty badly but I'm not sure whether I should get a road bike or a hybrid. I have a road bike at home ( giant ocr 3) which was my first road bike and I really like it. However my college gets a lot of snow every winter (upstate NY) and the roads get pretty slushy and slippery. So I was thinking maybe i should get a hybrid because I'll be able to use it in the winter more often because the tires are thicker and I'll be able to handle it easier and it'll be require less maintenance. Also my road bike handling skills aren't that refined yet. I was thinking about getting a Trek 7.3fx which seems like a nice bike but I keep thinking I'd prefer a road bike. What would you do in my situation? btw I'm willing to spend about $500 on a hybrid and up to $700 on a road bike.
Oh yeah i think that within the next 1-1.5 years I'll get a road bike if i do buy the hybrid now.
Why don't you bring your bike to school and see how you like riding it in adverse conditions. That may save you some grief (and money).

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.