Old 08-25-07, 02:58 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Forgive me but this is a case of the blind judging the blind. I never go into LBS because what you describe is what you get. Getting hosed or poor workmanship or both is part of the landscape...not unlike car dealerships btw only on a broader scale. You may think you can trust people but their livelihood depends on selling product. By contrast, engineering is my calling so I am much too discriminating to have a LBS tune or even touch my bikes. You are in a box of sorts. You are mechanical enough to know your bike is out of adjustment but not enough to know how to adjust it. If you ride in a group or a club there is likely an engineer or a mechanic that may adjust your bike for free...maybe even change a part or two from time to time. I try to help out my friends because helping others always gives back manifold friendships and other aspects of fulfillment. Try to seek out such an individual. I believe mechanical aptitude is largely etched in the DNA. Kind of like doing math. Some can do math and even calculus in high school without opening a book. Some can draw. Some can play music naturally etc. Good Luck if you are beholden to a LBS where they have kids working in there on your bike who only know enough to be dangerous. I can't tell you how many bikes I have fixed and tuned after the owner just got it back from a LBS and it didn't shift properly.
With all due respect, I work with a guy that I am trying to convince to go to work with Slipstream as a wrench. He works in an LBS. My guess is he's at least as good a wrench as you are an engineer. I work with another who is a former pro level mechanic, having worked for several US pro teams over the years. Both work in a shop.

Are all engineers dorks that button their shirts to the top button, and either have a pocket protector or an ink stain on their shirts? That can't carry on a normal conversation without boring the crap out of every human in the room with their little details and monotone voices? And have no sense of humor but would rather sit home reading technical journals? See how we can stereotype?

What an amazing pile of crap...

Last edited by roadwarrior; 08-28-07 at 04:08 AM.