View Single Post
Old 08-25-07, 03:32 PM
EbikeHawaii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HalfLifeT1
That looks like a really nice area..It would be a bit of a bummer hitting a hiden rock in the grass though (i noticed they stayed on paths)..I kind of wonder, if a ebike were to have a similar configuration and use as a DH bike. I don't think hub motors would cut it. Not unless someone came up with a hub motor designed to take that type of impact. I think a frame mounted motor would be better way to go.
With a 5 lb motor installed on the swingarm using only a single chain/composite sprocket motor reduction to the wheel makes for 1600 watts of peak power that is vary efficient and is the lightest, PROTECTED inline motor system of it's kind that will perform well on any ebike.For performance lightweight powerful ebikes there is no subistute.Unless you used a noisy puma hub motor that will have it's longevity limits.I have taken a few off road headders on my heavy steal frame Huffy with this set up and have not broken anything.A 20 lb aluminum MTB Ebike would weigh in at 34 lbs with the motor system and a 7 lb lithium pack good for a 25 mile range at 20 mph of off road riding.The range of 12 miles up ANY hill and 12 miles down hill would make any Maui dirt ebiker happy!
Yes LIGHTNESS will cost a bit more but the performance, quality and durability would be unequaled in a Ebike.IMO any hub motor would NOT be an option.Notice that the space frame lithium bike has room for four 7 lb batteries good for over a 100 mile range with no pedaling.
Your right about hidden lava rocks in the tall grass and unless you have ridden in certain places many times you can expect to eat it at times if you go too fast. That's what motocrossing is all about.Riding on the edge! and having equipment that will handel punishment.

Last edited by EbikeHawaii; 08-27-07 at 04:31 PM.