View Single Post
Old 08-25-07, 04:25 PM
stokessd

Bikes: Stowe(3), Terry(1), Cannondale Tandem (1)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one as my first Tandem. It's pretty nice, although I ride custom lugged steel, and it leaves a bit to be desired in fit and finish compared to my other bikes. I didn't want to drop the $5K for the co-motion I was eyeballing for a bike I wasn't sure we would like riding.

The welding job is quite nice, the paint is pretty good. The geometry is also quite good for my wife and I. I like the disc brakes.

There's a few things that are minor annoyances:

1) The brake cables are held to the forks and rear seatstays with zip-ties. That's really marginal, and bush-league.

2) The braze-ons (weld ons) are not particularly well thought out in places. For example the rear brake cable is partially sleeved and partially open. The braze-ons are such that the cable housing rattles on the top tube. Shortening the cable housing, and making the entire run open solves that problem. The shifter braze ons are under the downtube so you can't see the cables (to put a grommet on for gear indication). I would like it if they used shifter bosses with adjusters there so I could switch to downtube shifters as well if the mood strikes me. Now it's brifters or bar ends.

3) The rack eyelets on the drop outs are not tapped

4) The rims are schaeder with presta eyelets.

5) A warning sticker under the clearcoat. This totally sucks and almost made me walk on the tandem

6) the seats suck unbelievably bad, I'd rather ride the bare seatpost. 2 brooks units and we are happy.

All in all it's a pretty nice unit for $2600. I would buy it again.

Sheldon