Old 08-26-07, 06:51 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
whose the stronger rider.

I have never aspired to be particularily fast. In my club, I am usually paired with the expereinced group but not the hammer heads. Time after time, within my group, after about 20 miles I repeatedly lag behind a couple riders, some of whom may be 25-30 pounds overweight. Soon after the 20 mile point ( normal training ride) we start ascending hills that might be 1200 feet in elevation and at most an 8 % grade for maybe a mile. The rest of the climb is about 5-6%. Even tho I often don't keep up when they go about 17-20 mph on the flats; when I get to the hills, I usually get significtantly ahead of them.
Why on the flats do I lag behind, yet usually overtake them on the hills.? Maybe I just fatique out at about one hour into a ride? They are like 20 pounds heavier than I am . Seems if you take off on the flats, you'd be stronger on the hills. ?I get disgusted that at the mid point of our ride, I just can't seem to keep up. I might get half a mile behind the group, but usually catch up at some minor descent .