View Single Post
Old 06-26-04, 11:25 PM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a pretty cool ride Saturday morning (real early to avoid traffic). Thought I would share the pictures.

a good at dawn has to be one of the best things in the world.

Sunrise over canyon lake and my bicycle.

Just a cactus near the summit of a climb.

You know what they say about the journeybeing better than the destination. That building down there is basically the town of Tortilla flat, my destination (the store was closed at that time of the morning).

Sunrising on the climb out of Tortilla Flat.

Some cliffs above Tortilla Flat.

Mountains above Tortilla Flat

The town of Tortilla Flat (I am pretty sure this was the bank in "Raising Arizona" if you have seen that movie, They shot a lot of scenes in this area.)

Descending back down to the lake.

This is why they call it canyon lake.

Probably one of the only steel decked bridges in the state of Arizona. It was definitely the first one I ever had to cross. Glad it wasn't wet.

Had to pose by the sign as long as I was taking pictures. Good excuse to rest in the middle of a long hill anyway. OK, no comments about the socks, I got dressed at 3:00 AM to get an early start and the Fashion Concious section of my brain was slow in activating.

The Flat Iron. This is the western edge of the Superstition Mountains.

Good ride, had a motorcyclist go down right behind me at one point and had to wait for the Highway patrol to get there. Remind me to never have a life threatening injury out here as it takes them awhile to get there. I am amazed at how many cyclists do this ride every weekend. Must be the scenery. I am definitely going back. With 4000 feet of climbing it is a pretty good workout over 54 miles. Next time though I will sleep in until 4 AM and not plan on being detained for half an hour by an accident . I also will toss in a first aid kit next time.

Last edited by Paul L.; 06-26-04 at 11:30 PM.