View Single Post
Old 06-27-04, 11:11 AM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slotibartfast
Cool pics. I drove that route a couple of years ago when in Apache Junction visiting my mom. Good burgers at Tortilla Flats! On the drive, I was wondering what a bike ride down there would be like, but I didn't like the narrowness of the road. Any problems with cars? I would guess it would be best to ride that route in a group.

This is only doable by bike early in the morning when no cars are out and even then you need to keep an eye in the rearview watching for cars towing boat trailers. Between 4 and 6 in the morning though traffic is very light (one or two cars per half hour). Coming back is fine until 8 or 9 since the only reason people travel up there is for the lake mostly. Groups help. The sharp turns help to keep speeds down as well but create a blind spot problem. The key is keeping the ears open for approaching vehicles and being careful around the blind curves.