Old 08-28-07, 04:09 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sjmayclin
I am a wrench. I am also a seasonal employee, working for the summer while I am on break from college. I am a firsthand witness that there are plenty of hacks in the business who spend way too much time on the stupid repairs and way to little on the things that count. Its all in the work ethic. When I work on a bike, I enjoy the feeling of seeing it come from its crappy state into one of a well oiled machine. And thats when I work on the Wal-mart bikes that so many people bring me. When I get a nice bike to work on, I consider it to be my own, for that 1.5 hours that I may spend on a tune-up. As such, I test ride it (if there is any mystery to the problem), work on it, ride it again, and then provide it with my person seal of approval, the statement-- "I would ride it, "

For me, its best when a customer comes in, and explains what symptoms are observed, to the best of their ability, and lets me figure out what needs to be done. For the most part, that involves an on the spot inspection, throwing the bike up on the stand and having a look. An estimate is made, written up, and the customer is informed that if anything more has to be done, he will be called. Sometimes the customer says just fix it, so I do. Other times, they say "if it will cost x dollars more, call me. below x dollars, just do it" Thats fine, but its exactly like do-well put it, its a contract. Pure and simple.

Thats how I do business. Its not necessarily how others at the shop where I work do business. I simply stand behind my work, and as such, I have become the requested mechanic by several customers, and been put in charge of special projects, that require careful attention to detail.

Here's the kicker-- I've only been riding since last november, and have only worked at a shop since mid June.

Its all about the mechanic, not necessarily the shop. The shop may set the MO, but its up to the mechanic to do the work, and do it right. Make friends with your mechanic.

-Steve
Very well said. With that approach, whatever you choose to do, you will be successful.