Old 08-28-07, 08:27 AM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Our shop policies are just like Bikewise's, though there are exceptions to the "always call" policy.

We often get customers filling out their repair slips leaving no phone number, a wrong phone number, an illegible phone number or a number that no one answers. When these repairs are due by a certain date, and we run into additional issues or parts needed, I will often take it upon myself to do the additional repair to make the bike 100% without a verbal confirmation. I have yet to argue with a customer over doing this, though I have had some argue about other issues we weren't asked to perform. If one of them did have a problem with me taking initiative, I run the risk of having to give them the repair for free (some shops may even take this out of the wrenches pay) as well as "losing rep" in the customer's eyes, but I've found that most people are like the OP and just want their bike fixed. That is after all why they brought it in to us in the first place: They wanted and were willing to pay for a professional opinion.

This may all seem overly semantical, but that is the real issue for most shops: Communication. By that I mean if do-well has issues with the repairs done at the first shop, he has several options. If the repair was incorrect or incomplete, any shop should make it right at no charge once it is pointed out. We're all human, we can all make mistakes and exclusions. The worth of a good shop is measured in how well they follow up.

If a mistake is made, one can also say nothing, mentally and emotionally store a "bad mark" against the shop, and now have the expectation that they'll just screw it up again. With this outlook, there isn't a shop out there that can live up. Depending upon how high the expectations are placed (and they are typically raised after the first "bad mark") it's just a matter of time before you'll be let down.