View Single Post
Old 06-28-04, 07:56 AM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
My wife and I are looking at retirement a few years from now and have decided, if it's at all possible, to move away from Atlanta.
Atlanta = too many cars = air polution = road rage = undesirable area.
In your opinion what's the best place to retire based on cost of living, climate (no snow or long cold winters or months of rain), and terrain (no flatlands, I need hills).
Even though you said no winters/snow, I would heartily recommend northeast Washington State. I've lived in Spokane the last 7 years and it's a cycling paradise! 1000's of miles great roads, 100's of miles of rails to trails and paved bike paths, surrounded my rolling plains (palouse), mountains, 4 car hours away from the Rocky Mountains and other mountain ranges, a very active cycling community. I love cycling here! Plus the cost of living here is (relatively) dirt cheap! I was in Missoula Montana last week looking at housing, cost of living etc., because of a possible job relocation. Nope, I'm staying in Spokane because of the cost of housing, roughly twice as much in Missoula.

We do have winters here, but because of our dry (low humidity) climate (considered high desert, 2200 ft elevation) the snow isn't the wet slushy kind. Some winters are quite mild, in 2002 we had only a week of snow on the ground. I'm an old-guy and like good, temperate sunny weather. We have it in spades here.

Nice people, great quality of life, even better cycling keep me here.