Old 08-29-07, 08:50 PM
FractalSquirrel
Clydesquirrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Is Walking a Sin?

I've been taking my mountain bike finally out on rocky, muddy, dirty trails as it was intended to ride on.

A while back, I was defeated by a paved, bicycle pathed hill and decided to stop to rest rather then walk up it. Something inside was nagging me about riding rather then walking, maybe it's cardio related, though of course walking would be better then stopping I guess.

After that though, I experienced the second wind, the feeling I could go on forever. It was the first time in my life I felt anything other then increasing pain and burning during physical activity.

I found a good excuse to walk it on a muddy incline a little later, physically I couldn't climb any more, the rear wheel just spun. If I tried to stand up on the pedals it just made things worse as my weight was even more off of the rear wheels. I guess that's just a limitation of being a clyde. I've seen skinnies ride up that trail. After that I found that the rear tire spun in relation to the rim, even though I was at maximum pressure. I had to flatten the tire and re-fill so the valve would be orthogonal to the rim.

Today I rode the longest ever, a nice long paved bike path that ends where the trails begin. A very big hill defeated me, causing me to walk it. And a moderate hill on the way back.

Should I try to avoid walking the bike at all costs? When I have been defeated, my heart rate was off the charts, my sides cramped, and I was very dizzy.