Old 09-02-07, 12:41 AM
stupidcar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upgrading Conventional Bike for Utility Cycling

i started a thread on panniers already, but i didn't want to start an individual thread on ever aspect of upgrading bicycles to make them more like standard utility bicycles, so this thread is all-purpose. forgive me if there's already a similar thread somewhere...

so, in lieu of not being able to find a decent old-fashioned utility bike these days, i've decided to upgrade mine with utility features. what i'm looking for are traditional chrome fenders, a headlight (bullet light), a chain guard, and perhaps other things which people might be able to recommend.

i hate the ****ty plastic fenders sold in sports stores, but chrome fenders seem hard to come by, and i'm wary of purchasing them online because my knowledge of bicycles is nearly nonexistent, apart from being able to ride them... i'm not even sure what size my wheels are. it's a road bike, and i believe my wheels are slightly thicker than average, if that means anything.

these fenders look pretty good and inexpensive, but it's difficult to tell from the photo:
http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_...&p=01%2D105626

any advice or recommendations for a lowly novice?