Old 09-02-07, 02:51 PM
Python

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh Ladies Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Restoration Project

I've just acquired a ladies racer bike (circa 1970s/early 1980s) which I'm going to attempt to restore. This will be my first attempt at restoration. The bike in question is a Falcon and is in a bit of a sorry state at the moment. Most of it is salvageable though.

It will need the frame taken down to the bare metal and resprayed. The wheels are the worst part of the bike. The chrome has a lot of pitting. The easiest way would be to put on new wheels but the cost is prohibitive as I am not keeping this bike. My friend asked me to find a ladies racer for her. She doesn't have a lot of money to spare so I thought I could restore the bike and give it to her as a present. I have two weeks to restore this bike as we are going up north to visit my friend for the weekend in a couple of weeks time and I want to take the bike up with me (she lives over 300 miles away). She has arthritis and only wants the bike for gentle exercise to keep her joints moving.

Anyone got any suggestions as to the best way to get rid of the rust on the wheels so they at least look better than they do now?

Once I get the bike restored I'll post before and after pics.