bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bpohl
I've been pondering this for some time now, and it's certainly not an original idea; however, I wanted to put it in writing anyway. It seems that I notice people doing things in their cars that they would not ever do as a pedestrian or a cyclist. I don't know what it is about the feeling of security and anonymity that a 3,000 pound cage affords its occupants, but it's a pretty powerful thing. I've noticed since moving into an urban neighborhood with loads of pedestrians that my neighbors seem so much more human, more real, less like items in a human filing cabinet. And somehow I think this is in direct correlation that we, as a whole, spend much less time "dehumanizing" every single day than most of our counterparts in the suburbs.

I've also noticed this same phenomenon on the bike when someone was done something really stupid in traffic to me, only to get caught at the next red light next to me. Almost invariably these people squirm when I look at them directly, since I'm no longer just an obstacle on their path. I'm now an actual human being who is looking at them face to face... someone's son... a fiance... a father... an actual person.

When this happens, I think of the larger repercussions of auto culture and how it's destroying our communities in a very profound way. As people drive more and more miles every single day, they spend more time seeing other people as simply occupants of an obstacle. It takes the human completely out of the equation, and that idea is very powerful to me, as someone who spends very little time surrounded by obstacles and much more surrounded by, well, people.

Anyway, that was just a thought I had today on the bike. Take it for what it's worth.
I think this is a bit unfair. Car culture can be unpleasant for people who aren't in cars, true, and it does really mess up our urban public spaces, but I'm not convinced it dehumanizes the drivers of the cars. Every time a motorist yells, "Get on the sidewalk, a**hole!" I don't feel that I'm interacting with an automaton; I'm reasonably certain that it's a very human jerk behnd the wheel of that SUV. At such times, I don't blame the vehicle, I blame the driver. And let's not even pretend that bicylists are that much more connected to their surroundings than car drivers. I've seen more than my share of fellow cyclists who, when on their bikes, act like the Borg.