Old 09-04-07, 05:50 AM
TheBrick
Tinkerer since 1980

Bikes: Coppi racer, Old school BMX, some random a fixed wheel convertion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just a side note as I am curently setting up a bike for touring. I don't see why you all need such high gears. Around town I ride 76" fixed and can spin well in to the 30's mph (I have never "spun out" in London) and a purfect gear for crusing in the high teens low twenties (certainly faster than I will be touring, I don't know what speed you guys go along at with!). At 85 " I am sure I could easily hit 40 mph down hill with out too much trouble or spinning out. Unless you like to keep on pedaling up 45 -50 mph why the need for 115"? It's not like you will sustain that speed for long so you don't need to be able to keep the rpm sustainable at 80 - 90 rpm. I do not consider myself to be a super spinner by the way. Does touring turn you into a masher? I suppose most bikes come with a high top gear and you will use it if it is there but do you really NEED a top gear higher than 75 -80 may be 85 inches? I would think you are better off keeping the gearing on the low side if you want to be minimal and toping out at 80".