View Single Post
Old 09-05-07, 08:57 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I ride both an interal hub road bike (1973 Schwinn World Voyageur w/Shimano Nexus 8) and a 1972 Paramount Touring bike with a Triple (15 Speeds total). The hub bike is set up for the winter when there is a lot of salt,slush and cr*p on the roads so it requires a little less attention than a geared bike. Both bikes are alot of fun and neither is "better" than the other. The Paramount is fun to ride in the Summer & Fall and not have to worry about the elements. It is a bit lighter because it does not have the internal hub and front generator hub. I really don't see that much of a difference between the bikes. You still have to pedal and shift to get where you are going. One is a bit heavier than the other but not so much that is is an issue.

I think the internal hub fans exaggerate the "maintinence" issue while deraileur fans exaggerate the "weight" issue. The thing that I notice that is an issue on the winter bike is the studded Nokian tires! Now that difference I feel when I put them on. After awhile I forget about it but when I put the regular tire on in the spring, I feel alot faster. People like what they like and will defend thier choice as the "right" one. Ride what you like but I say get one of each so you can do your own comparison!