ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
Just because the motorcyclist was in his 50's and wearing the "proper gear" doesn't mean he knows how to ride. That's like assuming that pcad knows how to ride a bicycle because he has grey hair and has a few nice bikes.

The first time you overcook a turn on a motorcycle, you either quickly learn to trust your tires more than you ever have before, or you're going off-roading (or in his case, tarmac surfing). The ONLY time you go hard on the brakes in a turn is if you're attempting a panic stop, and ONLY after righting the bike so you're not leaning. Anything else is asking for trouble, as it is very easy to wash out a front or rear wheel. This is why taking the MSF course is so important - they drill this stuff into you until it becomes second nature.
I remember during my course, we all HATED our instructors.....they were like Marine DI's....but, they were only looking out for our own good.

Ok, enough preaching - glad to hear nobody was killed or seriously injured, and hopefully everything gets settled amicably.
One of mine was a former drill instructor. The first time you enter a corner with more speed than you meant to on a motorcycle is intimidating. The idea of more countersteer and trusting your rubber takes time to drill in.