View Single Post
Old 09-06-07, 07:47 PM
jbpence

Bikes: 2009 Custom TI Frame Road Bike, all 2007 Campy Record, Campy Euros Wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
google shows a non-interstate route of approx 1500 miles. looks like the routes covered by those available at http://www.adv-cycling.org/ might be a tad farther. maybe not.

- i might cut the length of the trip by driving part way first, cut it in half. if i can find somewhere to leave the van without going broke paying for parking. hmmm. maybe a one way truck rental!! leave from st joseph, mo. it would take a lot of risk out, and total of about 800 miles instead of 1600. I can rent a truck for 316.00. figure 60 gallons of gas.

i'll get a warmer bag.

I see the point, dont need the trailer AND the bags. like the idea of the trailer to keep the bike light. would like to keep some things handy on the bike though (food water and rain gear for example).

i am leaving everything in NM and flying back. I'm in the process of moving BACK there, having moved away last may.

to avoid rockies all together, I could go into texas, west to the turquoise trail to santa fe, then up the rio grande valley to taos. much warmer, WAY more predictable, no passes, in fact you dont cross the rockies. you drop to the south of them and wont hit 7000; till santa fe. rarely snows there in october. have to check on getting into NM from the east, I40 might be the only road.

I pretty much know the bad part of the terrain having driven it ten times at least. and will google earth that part (colorado/NM) make sure there are no surprises.