View Single Post
Old 09-07-07, 01:29 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
maddmaxx! THANK YOU!

Because I trusted you, I loosened the crank arm and put a hammer in the clamp and just cranked on it! It made a loud noise, and now it rotates freely and can be tightened down in whatever position. I never* would have forced it like that without your reassurance. It hadn't said anything about it rotating in the directions.

I am so* much happier now.

Susan
You trusted me!......

Glad you like it. You can live with the tilt if you get (or make something like) the park handlebar holder to keep the front wheel from swinging.

Most of these stands are not suitable for serious torque applications like bottom brackets. For old style bottom brackets with the internal splined caps I put the bike on its wheels and stand on the other side of the bike from the cap to be removed (or installed). Now the advantage of my bell middled shape shows up as I pin the top tube down while pulling up on a long torque wrench. Your other hand is holding the tool in the BB cup (and the whole job tends to push the tools into the spline instead of slipping out)

Pulling up on wrenches keeps your hands from punching the floor when things come loose.
Pulling in toward the job keeps splines from slipping out which makes a mess of the tool, part and unfortunately you.

Have fun with your new not so unfavorite "inexpensive" bike stand.