Old 09-07-07, 03:02 PM
EvilV
Bicycling Gnome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colonelclink4
I know this has been discussed once in the past. But I feel a need to bring it up again. Yes, I'm new. Hi.
I'm planning to buy a Brompton in the near future but I really want the versatility of having a greater selection of gears.
Here's what I'm proposing.

Can I replace the 3 speed hub with an 8 speed hub? I'm looking at buying a used L3 and it's got a 3 speed SRAM hub.

I guess the big question is about spacing. Can it be done? If not, what alternatives are there?

Schlumf looks like a last resort.
Rohloff is stupid expensive.

I read somewhere that Merc has an 8 speed version. I may be interested in that, but I can't find one anywhere online.

I want a folder with the compactness of a Brompton and the versatility of an 8 speed hub.

Help!
Hi.

Sorry I've been away for a few days.

The 7 speed Merc is not in the UK yet. Sorry Colonelclink - I don't know where you are. Merc are imported and rebadged bikes made in Taiwan by a company called Grace Gallant - http://www.flamingobike.com/products...p?pid=56&cid=3

The UK importer will not be getting a new container until the original stock is sold I suppose. The currently available bikes are all 3 speed SRF-3 equipped. As Little_Pixel said, I have fitted a front mech and twin chainwheels. This works pretty well. I bought a front deraillier mounting clamp from a guy on the Brompton Talk Yahoo email list for £40 with a cheap front mech and lever thrown in. It went straight on and works great. I have a 52 / 39 front sprocket arrangement, which basically gives me 6 gears, only four of which are unique. It works like this:

53 tooth chainwheel gives 81, 61, 45 gear inches.

39 tooth chainwheel gives around a 25% reduction allowing the following ranges:

60, 45, 35 gear inches.

Clearly the top two gears of the second range are almost exactly the same as the bottom two of the top range. In effect, I get to drop down on steep hills to a useable climbing gear. The range works well for me in practice, and this solution is quite cheap.

I'm not sure about what implications there would be in retro fitting the 7 speed nexus. All kinds of issues might crop up like the spread of the rear triangle and the fact that the changing mechanism is I think on different sides.

See here for a photo of the conversion:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...41&postcount=2

Last edited by EvilV; 09-08-07 at 01:53 AM.