Old 09-08-07, 06:17 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
This is the type of project that I love to do but on a bike like the Daneli it can turn into a basket of snakes. This isn't the kind of project that bike shops do well because it's labor intensive and, at shop labor rates, it simply becomes uneconomical.

The big issue is that it isn't a mainstream bike so things like the handlebar diameter might be slightly different than I'd normally expect for a dropped bar. The first thing that I'd want to do would be to take a caliper to the part of the handlebar where the shifters are located. If you don't have a caliper, wrap a piece of paper around the bare bar, mark where it overlaps, measure in millimeters and divide by 3.14. If you're in luck that'll be the same as the flat bar that you want to use. That's important because otherwise you may find the shifters and brake levers won't clamp tightly enough.

If that's the case you should be able to get by with new flat bar brake levers, handgrips and new cables and housings. Ideally you'd want canty-style brake levers but linear pull levers will work. That's not too bad of a parts list.

If the Revo shifters don't slide off of the bar easily I'd just hacksaw the bar near the center section and slide them off that way. That bar will have no resale value so you won't be losing anything.

Shoot a little hairspray on the inside of the handgrips. That'll make them slide on real easily and, after setting up overnight, they'll stay tight. Cutting the new cable housings to the right length might be the hardest part of the job. Measure one side off of the other so they'll be exactly the same length. A little too long is better than too short.

Good luck.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 09-08-07 at 06:24 AM.