View Single Post
Old 09-10-07, 04:52 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrapin Tim
OK here is a pic of the seat tube stays with the colnago stamping and the cable mounting bosses for the rear brake.

What about the front fork items... other posters on previous ID threads suggested that the club and Colnago in the crown and the crowns inside on the fork tangs was more indicative of the mid to late 70's ??
Thanks for providing the additional pic. Yep. Frame is definitely early 80's, with a small chance it could be a year earlier, as I don't think changes were necessarily made at midnight on December 31. Probably 1980-81, if it doesn't have "Colnago" embossed in the chainstays.
The fork crown with Colnago+club and clubs in the fork tangs were indicative of Supers from about 1976 all the way until about 1983-84, when the full-sloping crown took over. In this case, the "Colnago" dropouts and "Colnago" seatstay caps place the bike in the latter end of that time period, though the over-the-BB cable guide says to me 1980 or '81 rather than '82, by which time I think the under-the-BB routing was standard and the "Colnago" stamped chainstays came in. There's nothing about the fork that says mid-to-late 70's per se. I had an '82 with that same fork.

Last edited by Picchio Special; 09-10-07 at 06:42 AM.