jimlamb
Committed Commuter

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Swobo Baxter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I really wonder why you were trying to squeeze by this large vehicle in a lane that was ending - up to the point that you even appared to go off the road trying to squeeze by. I can't see any fault of the the truck driver, they were just moving forward with the flow of traffic. There were plently of opportunities to merge back into the flow of traffic before the lane ended.
I can't say that I fault the truck driver other than making the argument that he shouldn't really have been on that particular stretch of road in the first place. This particularly light runs especially long, so I honestly thought I had plenty of time to filter up to the light before traffic started moving again. Once it did, I had a pretty limited set of options as I was already next to the truck and the road had already narrowed.

Like I said, in retrospect, I probably should have just gone off road and walked my bike up to the intersection. The risk being that I could have spilled while going off road due to the deep sand and falling next to a tractor trailer seems even less appealing than falling behind a tractor trailer. It's really nice, however, to leverage this community to learn what I can from this experience.